Monday, December 19, 2016

Musical Bah-Humbug.

As some of you are aware, I'm kind of a Grinch when it comes to Christmas. I haven't been a fan of it because my birthday is so close to Christmas. As I've gotten older, the irritation caused by it has diminished somewhat, but there is one thing that I can't let go of:

There are two "Christmas songs" (I'm using this term lightly) that grates the logic in my brain.

1. "Last Christmas", by Wham!

This is not a Christmas song. I'm sorry to the half-dozen Wham! fans still out there, but putting the word "Christmas" in the song doesn't mean it pertains to the holiday. If the holiday listed in this song was Groundhog's Day, would that make it the world's first Groundhog's Day song? No!  It would still be what it has always been. It's a song about a man, who a year later, still can't get over a breakup.  This breakup just so happened to occur on Christmas, because she didn't want to buy him any gifts. (Okay, I made that last part up.  But can you blame me?) So, STOP PLAYING THIS SONG REPEATEDLY THROUGHOUT THE SEASON!

2. "Mary Did You Know", by Pentatonix.

The whole basis of this song revolves around whether Mary, the Mother of Jesus, knew that he was going to be the Savior of mankind. I get that you are trying to thank her for what she did, but the whole premise of the song is set on a false narrative. Based on the lyrics written, it was created by someone who didn't read the New Testament in the Holy Bible.

A musician who doesn't know the subject they are writing about is tantamount to an actor who doesn't bother to read the script prior to acting out the scene. To answer your question, (which you drag on longer than a politician's response to a simple question) Yes! SHE KNEW BECAUSE THE ANGEL GABRIEL TOLD HER SO WHEN HE VISITED HER! You see that? I answered the question, and didn't need 3-4 minutes to provide a response.

That's the end of my rant. I hope all of you enjoy the remainder of this season of giving. To my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah! To everyone else, have a Merry Christmas! Everyone else but the members of Pentatonix and Wham! I want you to sit in a corner and think about what you've done. Do you hear me?

No comments:

Post a Comment