Sunday, February 12, 2017

Happy Valentine's Day, To My Mother.

This time of year is always hard for me. It's a mixed bag of happiness and grief, because Valentine's Day is here. Prior to this day, but more than 3 decades ago, I lost my mother to tragedy and she passed away. She was the kindest woman I have ever known, even though our relationship as mother and son was brief on this Earth. She loved me and did everything she possibly could, but still felt like she came short of what a "good mother" should be.

I've decided to write my mother a letter of sorts, to share my feelings to her.

Dear Mom,

I have always missed you. You showed me true kindness, but your time with me was too short. You taught me to be smart and push myself. You taught me to be brave, and try something that I may not want to do at first. You taught me to be curious and to question everything, so that I can increase my understanding of this world. You taught me to be kind, both to others and to animals, and showed me by example. You introduced me to music and fostered it so that it kindled into a love for all kinds of music.

Someday, I hope in the next life, let's get together, so that I can truly learn more about you, from your prospective. Even though our lives were separated, I always will forever be a "mama's boy". But I'm not ashamed of that. I'm not a perfect son, but I'll try to do better, because I want you to be proud of me.

I must forewarn you that when I see you, I may hug you and never let go, because it's been too long between visits. So, with Valentine's Day approaching, I want you to know that you have, forever, a special place in my heart.

To my mother, Gayla Bell:

You will always be my first Valentine.

Love, your son,

-Lonny

To those that read this, I hope your Valentine's Day is spent with someone special in your life. Please be sure to tell them, and show them, how special they are to you, as life is fleeting and can be over in an instant.


No comments:

Post a Comment